|phone||(770) 410-1555 (Ext. 107)|
Byron Sanford is a partner at Briskin, Cross & Sanford, LLC and serves as the firm’s Chief Information Officer. Byron also chairs the firm’s Technology and Internet Law Practice Group. Byron's practice focuses on matters involving (i) Technology Law, including internet law, technology licensing agreements, data privacy and security; intellectual property law including trademarks, service marks, copyrights and trade secrets; (ii) Business Law, including general corporate transactions, mergers & acquisitions, partnership and LLC law, exit strategy planning and execution, and commercial litigation; (iii) Employment Law, including executive employment agreements, employment manuals, and employment litigation; (iv) Sales, distributor, and independent contractor agreements; and (v) Commercial Real Estate, including commercial lease preparation and negotiation, sales, acquisitions, and construction litigation.
Byron is licensed to practice law by the State Bar of Georgia and has been admitted to practice before all state and local courts throughout Georgia, including the Georgia Court of Appeals and the Georgia Supreme Court, as well as the Federal District Court for the Northern District of Georgia. Byron received his dual B.A. in International Studies and German Studies from Emory University. He was subsequently awarded his Juris Doctor by the Georgia State University College of Law. Prior to joining the law firm, he founded and managed The Law Offices of Byron M. G. Sanford, P.C. for seven successful years, providing counsel and representation for his clients in business, technology, and family law matters.
As part of Byron's practice and his participation in our community, Byron serves as a Special Assistant Attorney General for the Gwinnett Judicial Circuit. As Special Assistant Attorney General for the Gwinnett Judicial Circuit, Byron serves as a lawyer for the Georgia Department of Human Resources Division of Child Support Services in civil litigation within the Gwinnett Judicial Circuit.
Byron also lectures extenisvely on business and technology law matters. Byron has presented numerous continuing education classes on a variety of business and technology law issues, including an ongoing series of classes on limited liability companies thorugh the National Business Institute. Byron has also lectured at both Reinhardt University and Georgia State University on various legal and business topics. Byron presents regular talks on important technology and business issues to business groups and business leaders, leading a charge to better educate the business community regarding the many complex legal issues and challenges presented by our fast-moving economy.
Since 1997, Byron also has been involved in coaching and mentoring the highly successful Milton High School Mock Trial Team. Byron's team has placed in the top of its region consistently since his involvement with the program. In 2006, Byron was awarded the Outstanding Attorney Coach of the Year award by the Georgia Bar Association in connection with leading the Milton Team to a second place finish in the Mock Trial State Championship.
Byron and his family are active members of Congregation Dor Tamid in Johns Creek, Georgia, where they are involved in educational and volunteer efforts and including outreach to young families.
Byron and his family live in Alpharetta, Georgia.
- Areas of Practice:
- 25% Technology and Internet Law
- 10% Business Litigation
- 5% Commercial Real Estate
- 5% Construction Law
- 10% Contract Litigation
- 5% Corporate Law
- 10% Employment Law
- 5% Intellectual Property
- 5% Mergers & Acquisitions
- 5% Partnership and LLC Law
- 5% Restrictive Covenants
- 10% Business Law
- Georgia State University College of Law, Atlanta, Georgia,
- Emory University,
- Published Works:
- Practical Considerations in Creating Effective Operating Procedures, National Business Institute, Corporate and Limited Liability Company Law, 2010
- Creating Practical Operating Procedures, National Business Institute, Corporate and Limited Liability Company Law, 2009
- Operating Agreements and Operational Issues, National Business Insitute - LLC Trends and Developments, Corporate and Limited Liability Company Law, 2008
- Representative Cases:
- Chapman v. Clark, et al. (Georgia Court of Appeals 2010)
- Accurate Printers v. Stark (Georgia Court of Appels 2008)
- Acqusition of PopJudaica.com by ModernTribe.com (2009)
- Classes/Seminars Taught:
- “Practical Consideration in Creating Effective Operating Procedures”, National Business Institute, 2010, 2008
- “Legal Risk Management in a Data-Centric World”, C&C CEO Advisory Board, 2010, 2007 - Present
- “Antitrust Law, Consumer Protection, Real Estate and Land-Use”, Reinhardt College, 2010, 2007
- “Creating Practical Operating Procedures”, National Business Institute, 2009
- “Business Law Bootcamp for New Business Owners”, Entrepreneurs’ Workshop, 2009
- “Impact of State Law on LLC Governance", National Business Institutes, 2008
- "Limited Liability Companies", National Business Institute
- "Trends and Developments in LLCs", National Business Institute
- "Your Guide to Georgia LLCs", National Business Institute
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Georgia Bar Association - Technology Law Section, January 1, 2005 - Present
- Georgia Bar Association - Business Law Section, January 1, 1997 - Present
- Georgia Bar Association - Intellectual Property Law Section, January 1, 2005 - Present
- Technology Association of Georgia, January 1, 1999 - Present
- Pro Bono Activities:
- Georgia Bar Association's High School Mock Trial Program, November 1, 1997 - Present
- Beta Theta Pi